Monday 20 April 2015

Non-Dominant Hand Challenge

Picture from: www.pinterest.com
I used to think I was ambidextrous; even though I couldn't write with my left hand I could do almost everything else. So, when I got the idea for a left-hand day I thought it wouldn't be that difficult. I convinced my friends of this too, and so when the last day of school for this term finally came around most of them were ready for the challenge.

When I woke up I took my watch off and put it on my right hand as a reminder. That process alone took three minutes. But, I put my struggle to get the watch strap on down to lack of practice and guessed I would soon be able to do everything with my left hand. Well, I soon realized that wasn't going to be the case.

I struggled to do up my buttons on my school dress, I struggled to pack my school bag whilst only using my left hand and believe it or not, even eating cereal was very difficult. But, determined not to fail I continued, until I got to my maths lesson. There I picked up my pencil with my left hand and stared at the tricky trigonometrical equation I had to solve. The numbers I could probably manage, but the letters looked difficult. Gulping down my fear I began. And failed miserably. Embarrassed I hunched over my maths book preventing my teacher from seeing it. How had left-handed people managed to permanently use their right hand only a few decades ago? I wondered as I tried again with the second line of the sum. My friends were smiling at me probably grateful they weren't the only ones struggling. But, soon the maths lesson was over and I was using my left hand to pick up my school bag, even that felt foreign.

By the time the headmistress dismissed us, my left hand was aching from all the work it had done so far today but, I couldn't keep a grin off of my face. I'd done it. I'd survived half of the non-dominant hand challenge. And the other half went a lot smoother.

So, at the end of the day, seven of my friends had completed the challenge and although it was hard we all enjoyed it. Now it’s your turn! I challenge you to pick a day, tell all of your friends and then switch hands. It'll be tough but it'll also be a day you'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment