Sunday 13 April 2014

Autumn


The flowers are disappearing, blankets are being bought by the dozen, salads are being replaced by soups and the temperature is slowly dropping. These are some of the first signs that summer is fading away, and soon we’ll be freezing our way through winter.

But, before we get there we have to experience the season in between the two. Autumn. Even though the few rays of sunshine don’t seem to warm us up so we shiver when we forget to wear a jersey, there are some things that I’ve learnt to appreciate about autumn.

One of the prettiest things about this season is the way the leaves change from bright green to a faded yellow, orange or a dark red. It takes time for the colour to change completely which reminds me that I have to be patient because it takes time to do something well.

A while after the colour change is completed the leaves begin to fall to the ground. One by one they leave their tree and gracefully dance through the air. When there is a big pile of leaves I love to jump in them and be reminded of the moments I used to spend playing with them when I was little.

As much as I love eating salads in summer I have to say that there are days when I would rather sit down by the TV and have a warm bowl of soup. There are so many flavours all in one spoonful and I’m instantly warmed up. But, some days when I don’t feel like eating soup I boil the kettle and pour myself a big mug of tea. Even though I drink tea everyday regardless of the season I appreciate it more when it’s cold.

During autumn and winter my family and I play a game every morning that we don’t play in the warm months of the year. So, every morning just before we cross the bridge to get to school we all guess what the temperature is going to be. When we finally drive over it we see what it is and who was the closest. It may not sound like much fun but when you’re cold and wishing you were in bed it’s enough to make you smile.

If you’re in the southern part of the world I hope you all keep warm this autumn and if you’re enjoying spring take lots of photos of the beautiful flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment