Friday 25 July 2014

TOMORROW

A few months ago I read article after article about how drones were making children scared to look up at the sky. The SKY! How are they ever going to smile when they see a rainbow or appreciate the beauty of the sunrises and sunsets? All it is that I’m saying is that technology is supposed to benefit us. It’s not supposed to kill us. And yet as we all get more and more paranoid we invent cannons, bombs, guns, drones and missiles. Do we not realize that as soon as we do this we’re prompting our enemies to do the same?

Do we not understand that when we “defend ourselves” we may end up killing thousands of other people in the process? Every time when I sit down and start reading a newspaper (yes I do, do that sometimes) I can’t help but wonder why we think we are the cleverest animals out there. After all, monkeys may fight with each other sometimes but I’ve never heard of an ape that spent half of his life building a weapon that he could use just in case someone invaded his territory.

The problem with us humans is that we love ourselves too much. Don’t take my words out of context, because we are meant to love ourselves, however, I do not believe that we were brought into this world simply to kill anyone who tries to hurt us. You see, if we did this then we would never let our guard down. We’d never be able to make friends and in the end only a handful of distrusting people would be left on this earth. So, even though our first instinct is to make sure that we don’t get hurt (which may mean that we have to injure someone else to ensure this doesn’t happen) I hope that the future generation, my generation, will possess the self-control to realize that the easiest option may not be the best option. And as a result, I hope we will be able to walk away from the walls that we are building to keep everyone out. Also to be prepared to lend a hand to anyone who needs it, even though there may be a possibility that we could get hurt in the process. After all, it’s our job to be the leaders of tomorrow, to be even better (if that’s possible) than the ones of today.
www.livingwaters.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment