Tuesday 1 July 2014

TV Time

Yesterday evening I had a brilliant idea for a blog post but on the way to my room I saw the flickering lights of someone watching television. Deciding to take a slight detour I entered the Study and saw my sister grinning as she watched our favourite show. "Just one show" I promised myself. Unfortunately, after that show another one of my favourites was on so I watched that one too, and then the next one.

By the time I managed to drag myself off of the couch I’d seen three shows and I didn’t even remember what I wanted to write about. So, when I finally reached my room and sat down in front of the computer I stared blankly at the screen. I tried and tried to remember but the idea was gone.

However, even after I'd given up trying to remember my idea, I still didn’t hate the fact that I’d watched TV. I didn’t hate the shows that absorbed me or the characters that made me laugh so hard I didn’t notice that my idea was disappearing from my mind. In fact, I was grateful for that temptation that made me sit down because I knew that I was now going to have to be strong enough to resist it, so in the future I would be able to get up after the first show and carry on with what I was doing.

You see, watching TV when you unwind is not a bad thing, nor is lying on the couch and watching movies when you’re feeling sick or viewing your favourite show at 18h30 every night is also okay. It’s just when you spend every minute of every day chilling in front of the television that a problem starts to develop. This is because you start to become a couch potato. You no longer feel like doing homework, chores or even going for a walk outside. In extreme cases you could suffer from depression, obesity and other such problems.
www.unsv.com
                                   

So, in order to prevent this from happening I’ve thought of a few suggestions and I challenge all of you (and myself) to watch less TV this week by following these steps.

1. Pick a few shows you love to watch and try to only watch these shows. If your show isn’t on yet why don’t you turn of the TV and read until it comes on.

2. Limit yourself to one movie a day for most days (with some exceptions of course *winks*)

3. Try to watch at least two educational shows in one week.


Reading through this post again I’ve realised that it sounds like I don’t enjoy watching TV, which isn’t true. I think this invention can be entertaining as well as beneficial as it educates us, helps us to relax and encourages us to laugh thus getting rid of the day’s tension. Without it, watching our favourite sports wouldn’t be as easy and it would be harder to cheer on our teams.

As you can see I do love watching TV but like many things I believe you should moderate yourself in order to stay healthy and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment