Monday 2 March 2015

Good Luck!

Tomorrow is the day; after weeks of reading and discussing vairous South African Short Stories we are finally going to write the 3 hour English Olympiad! I hope all participants are inspired and ready to write essays and creative writing pieces that they'll be proud of.

If you haven't yet fallen in love with literature here is an amazing poem by GCINA MHLOPE; it's called IN THE COMPANY OF WORDS.

"It is truly marvellous, wonderful and comforting
To know that I have eyes to read
Hands that can write
And an enormous love for words
I am lucky to be speaking a few extremely beautiful languages
For I love words – language’s ancestor
When I’m happy, words define my happiness
When I’m sad and confused
Words turn into clay and allow me
To mould and remould my muddled up thoughts
Till I find inner peace in my soul

Had I to choose, between weeping and reading
I’d most definitely choose reading,
A good book
For I have proof, for aches and tensions
It works!
Countless times I’ve turned my back on pain
And found friends in characters from far off lands
Countless times I’ve defied anger
And caressed my nerves with an old comic book
Countless nights I’ve triumphed over insomnia
And had a heart to heart talk with my pen and paper

I come to my desk in the dead of night
I sit, without a clue as to how I wish to start
But then, before I know it, words of all types and sizes
Come rushing unto my finger tips
As I feel my whole body smile
I welcome them every single one of them
Like the good old friends that they are
When they start dancing in large circles around me
Throwing teasing wordy circles on my walls
I am convinced that I was not born to be bored
For how indeed can boredom even begin to penetrate
My timeless word circle
Now you see, why I’m so content
In the company of words"

No comments:

Post a Comment